Yield: 4 servings
This is a popular dish during the fasting periods as dictated by the Eritrean Orthodox Church. It can be eaten during those times because it does not use any meat or dairy products.
2 cups dried lentils
1 onion, finely chopped
¼ cup oil
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon berbere
1 tomato, chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cloves garlic, minced
1. Put the lentils in a large pot with 6 cups of water. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat. Cover the pot partially and allow it to simmer for about 15 minuts, until the lentils are soft. Set the lentils aside.
2. Sauté the onion in the oil in a large pot until the onion is soft and golden.
3. Add the salt, berbere, tomato, tomato paste, and ½ cup of water. Mix well and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add the garlic and lentils. Stir and bring to a boil.
5. Serve in bowls and eat with bread or injera.