Yield: 4 servings
For extra flavor and richness, replace the oil with Ghee (see below).
½ cup oil
1 onion, finely diced
3 teaspoons berbere
1 pound beef stew meat, cut into ½ inch cubes (or smaller)
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon salt
1. Heat the oil in a pot. Add the onion and sauté it until it is golden.
2. Add the berbere and stir. Add the beef to the pot, and mix well to coat each piece with the onion and spice
3. Cook over a low heat, stirring, for 3 minutes.
4. Add the tomato paste and 4 cups of water to the pot. Add the salt and mix well.
5. Bring the stew to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
6. Serve with injera or another bread.